Discussed in this episode
Giving a new hire a meaty project can seem like a big risk. Seems easier to have them fix bugs while they ramp up on the code base.
But endlessly fixing bugs can be demotivating.
If you’re not sure when the right time is to give your new hires a meatier project, then you’ll definitely want to listen to today’s Build Tip.
Chris Jobst who is a senior software engineer at Pivotal Labs is back to share some tips on how to balance bug fixes with meatier projects.
As you listen to the episode you’ll learn:
- Why bug fixing is often a priority, and how to motivate new hires through it
- Why new hires are in the best position to spot technical debt and tackle it
- When does it make sense to transition from bug fixes to a project
- How to structure the project, when new hires are unfamiliar with the code base
- Why pairing more experienced software engineers on a project with new hires can help new hires level up faster
Build is produced as a partnership between Femgineer (http://femgineer.com/) and Pivotal Tracker (https://www.pivotaltracker.com/). San Francisco video production by StartMotionMEDIA (http://www.startmotionmedia.com/design/).
Listen to this episode